The monetary consequence of discharging unprocessed or partially processed wastewater & stormwater into local rivers and lakes was recently reviewed in a report :
Lake Erie Ecosystem Priority (LEEP).
– Items like property values, recreation, tourism, etc were studied over several years involving HABS – harmful algae blooms.
– Over 30 years, the value of lost benefits is estimated at more than $1.3 Billion dollars.
– The International Joint Commission study used the Canadian and U.S. portions of western Lake Erie.
– “Overall, the total economic impact from the 2011 bloom was based on estimates of $16 million for diminished property values, $20 million for lost tourism revenue, $31 million for lost recreational opportunities, and $4 million for water treatment. For 2014, the estimate was slightly lower, at $65 million.”
- The cummulative effect is staggering with yearly incidences and occurances taking a toll on society; and the environment.